The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Grade(s): Pre-Kindergarten, Kindergarten, and 1
Location: In School
Program Delivery: In School
The instructor will read The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle to students and use it to inspire their art. This story provides a creative review of the days of the week, discusses healthy food choices and offers an introduction to metamorphosis.
Students experiment with wire and fibre sculpture to create caterpillar bodies and learn collage techniques to create colourful transparent wings. Once dry, tie the wings to the caterpillar bodies and see how they emerge as beautiful sun catchers for display at home or in the classroom!
- Language Arts: Express ideas and information creatively
- Art: Explore colours, shapes, and lines in art
- Discover practical skills and explore various modes while experimenting with a new medium
- Demonstrates skills in oral, written and visual literacy
- Demonstrates attentive listening and viewing (follows one or two-step instructions)
My Shapes and Sizes Book – Art Gallery of St. Albert